Oil and Gas News

Santos-State Gas JV granted permit

The State Gas-Santos joint venture (JV) has been granted a new exploration permit (ATP 2068), located in Queensland.

State Gas holds 35 per cent of the JV, with Santos holding the remaining 65 per cent as appointed operator. In May 2022, prior to this permit being granted, the JV was named preferred tenderers for the area.

The area permitted covers 702 square kms and is situated adjacent to State Gas’s projects Reid’s Dome and Rolleston West, and the Warrinilla and Warrinilla North Projects which are 50 per cent owned by Santos. The area connects Reid’s Dome with Santos interests to the east.

The permit area contains targets for conventional gas, as well as being highly prospective for coal seam gas in the Bandanna Formation.

The Bandanna Formation is producing through Santos’ holdings to the east. Testing of the formation is also being undertaken by State Gas’ Rolleston-West Project.

State Gas executive chairman Richard Cottee said the company has added 2449 square kilometres, including the new acreage, in the last two years.

“We have achieved significant diversification in our target resource, with several different coal seam gas plays, as well as both conventional shallow and tight gas plays,” he said.

Cottee said State Gas’s familiarity with the area has allowed them to maximise their operational efficiency in the area.

Subscribe to Oil & Gas Today for the latest industry news.

JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER

JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Close