Oil and Gas News

Strike and Talon begin Walyering mobilisation 

Walyering-5 gas presence

Strike Energy has kicked off mobilisation of the Ensign Rig 970 at the Walyering gas discovery in the Perth Basin, Western Australia.

The Walyering gas discovery is located between Western Australia’s two major gas transmission lines, linking the field with WA’s industrial gas markets under a joint venture (JV) between Strike and Talon Energy.

Strike said it will complete the mobilisation and rig up in preparation to spud the W5 well, which is currently scheduled for mid-November.

The news comes ahead of a proposed 33-day drilling and completion campaign.

The Walyering-5 well campaign will see the well drilled down to a depth of 3138 m subsea to test the up-dip potential of the wet-gas discovery, and on success recommence the development of the field, which stalled under previous ownership.

The Walyering conventional gas discovery was made in the Jurassic Cattamarra Coal Measures (at an approximate depth of 3,165 m subsea), via the Walyering-1 well which flowed at 13.5mmscf/d and measured only 1 per cent CO2.

EP447, which includes Walyering, covers 1,110 km2 and was acquired in December 2018.

Since acquisition, Strike has carried out 90k m2 of 3D seismic in late 2019 over the historical Walyering wells which has markedly improved Strike’s confidence in the interpretations of wet-gas accumulations at Walyering and within the broader region.

Strike Energy is operator and the holder of a 55 per cent JV interest in EP447, and Talon Energy a holder of the other 45 per cent joint venture interest.

Subscribe to Oil & Gas Today for the latest industry news.

JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER

JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Close