Oil and Gas News

Strike, Talon spud Walyering-5 well

Strike energy W-5 well

Strike Energy has successfully spud the Walyering-5 well in the Perth Basin of Western Australia.

The company reported that Walyering-5 was officially spud on Sunday November 14, after rig maintenance and moving operations were completed smoothly.

Drilling at the well is now underway and currently ahead at a depth of 483 m, with plans to add the first casing point at 1010 m.

The W-5 well will be drilled down to a depth of 3,138 m subsea (ss) and is designed to test the updip potential of the Walyering wet-gas discovery.

Since acquisition Strike has carried out 90 km2 of 3D seismic in late 2019 over the historical Walyering wells which has markedly improved Strike’s confidence in the interpretations of wet-gas accumulations at Walyering and within the broader region.

The Walyering wet-gas field is strategically located being situated between WA’s two major gas transmission lines, linking the field with WA’s industrial gas markets.

The energy company along with Talon Energy are working together to explore the EP447 joint venture, which Talon has a 45 per cent stake in while Strike owns the remaining 55 per cent.

Strike has also announced that it remains dedicated to its decarbonisation vision.

At the company’s annual general meeting, chairman John Poynton highlighted that the company remains committed to its plan to reach net-zero carbon for Scope 1 & 2 emissions by 2030.

“Whilst we are proud of what we have achieved in 2021, there is still much that needs to be delivered in our vision to become Australia’s leading integrated energy, fertiliser and renewables company,” he said.

Furthermore, Strike reached an important milestone late this year with the independent certification of its Perth Basin Gas Reserves.

The reserve certification is the culmination of its exploration and appraisal well campaign.

Strike drilled the West Erregulla 3, 4 and 5 appraisal wells during the year and further work will be done in 2022 with the re-completion of West Erregulla 3 and 5.

Subscribe to Oil & Gas Today for the latest industry news.

©2021 All Rights Reserved. Oil & Gas is a registered trademark of Prime Creative Media.